5 Pro Tips for Leading Your Peers

5 Pro Tips for Leading Your Peers

We all happen to know the term “Peer Pressure” either way, picked up from our college days or workplace. Leading your peers is indeed a gem skill that comes cleaner when the days gradually pass by and you tend to get less comfortable with yourself. It is time to accept the fact that despite having obvious fear of being judged, we need to create our path anyways which has 80% to do with people and the rest 20% to do with your solitude.

Here I am with another blog on 5 pro tips for leading your peers. So tighten up your mindset belt and make a confident lift sure after reading this!

5 Pro Tips for Leading Your Peers

For leading your peers like a pro, you need to understand certain tips that is easily available on the internet, but hard to shape down into action format. My tips are genuine, and a bit old school but aren’t sluggish if you commit to them properly.

Apply Johari Window Concept

There is always quality communication that works from the word go for handling peers simultaneously rather than disseminating a quantity of information that pursue no value.  And then the Johari window concept raises an alarm in my opinion by its structure worthy to note.

This divides into four main frames that set each different communication significance. The one slide defines your public self, the second defines your private self, the third describes your blind spots and the fourth defines your unconscious self.

Now you may wonder how it matters to your peer leadership virtues. Let me explain each of them as a part of a better and deeper understanding. The first i.e., your public self determines the things that you know, the people with whom you interact daily tend to have knowledge of certain things about you and vice versa in other aspects.

Here acknowledging your public self as soon as possible bids a huge load to your ability to prove something to anybody of your age. Being self-aware of where and what to say or disclose is what will make you go with the flow while leading your peers.

Avoid Pretending

Setting a public image is different than pretending to be someone or say, just perfect. We’re human beings—this I keep on repeating because everywhere you go, if you’re always being a self-critic and over-imitator, I’m sorry to say, but it will be difficult for you to even start over an initial conversation with a group peer. So rule number one. Don’t judge yourself to an extent that goes wrong all of a sudden and rule number two. Don’t have a copy-and-paste personality.

Work with Credibility

Hard work is just the bridge to cross over, but smart work is the last extended portion of the bridge which stresses the amount of accountability you put into your work. An error done by keeping eyes and ears on don’t equal an error done by taking responsibility for the same. Your accountability does half of your job in spattering your leadership ethic into your peers’ mindset. When you act on your goals and results,  the people in your ecosystem automatically tend to trust you more on any and every matter of concern.

Politeness Comes First

People of your age or who are ahead of you in a greater sense of knowledge and skills will appreciate you only if you were humble with them. How you talk to them and how you treat them is the first and last impression of you in their mind, remember that. The only possibility to be polite naturally is to ensure staying grounded with day-to-day engagement (communication + listening) on certain issues of their interests sometimes.

Try Out the Unexpected

Inculcating the same attitude towards every project showing up at your table will eventually bore them. Experiment with how you conduct your team projects every week, make it more free-spirited and interactive so that they might get interested in making their win as your win, as well as the whole company’s win.

To Conclude…

Coming from my personal experience that I had, mastering yourself in leading your peers is not an overnight strategy. There might be times of facing ownership issues with some of your peers, disagreement on several levels of management or while trying to draw the boundary between personal and professional. But in the end, leading your peers is pushing everyone from equal strength.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.