Before I start with today’s blog session, I would like to welcome you to my new diverse series called Transformators– only available on my YouTube channel @AnjaniBKuumar. The best part is you will get to meet a lot of successful people with whom I have one-on-one conversations on sharing their top to bottom success stories plus an exchange of revealing how coaching played a role in their lives.
Episodes 1 to 7 released already, to not miss it check the details out here:
What are cognitive abilities aka skills? Let’s put it down to something like this: cognitive abilities are those go-to skills regarded in any form of situation that actively participates in listening, observing, and channelizing your ideas or thought process. Guess what many people do overlook their cognitive ability considering it as the age barrier, but nothing like that functions at all. Well, it is not because I’m saying it but the science itself made a prophecy that EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE WITH PROPER PRACTICE AND TRAINING.
My thought of the day is about the same that brings me here to share the 5 major to-do activities-
- If you are someone who doubts your own self-awareness.
- If you are suffering from any sort of listening or taking immediate action.
- If you are someone who just wants to improve yourself in terms of making progress.
Whatever the reason may be, this article will surely serve you the best insights into the simple junctures that can trigger your cognitive abilities. Do learn and grab all of these or at least one to live a better life of prosperity.
Anyways let’s get started.
1.Physical Activity: Always a Must
Endorsing physical activities 5 days every week is something to be not left with any option other than stretching, then doing some cardio, or other day muscle training. I don’t need to be clear how effective it is as we know, you know the number of researches had been done before on busting the myths and facts about cognitive skill development through exercise. I consider that is the one and only proof we all need.
When you start prioritizing exercise, every opportunity appears to be as bright as the sun. After exercising, it detoxes your body and mind by cleaning up all the shrunken residues, releasing stress hormones namely cortisol, and creating sympathy for the brain system of the fact that you care for them.
Hence better blood flow, better flexibility are seen in motor function, and many more to witness within at least 30 days of physical training. Having said that, the degradation rate will come near the time when you will start thinking that your cognitive skills are all set for a long run. But remember it will be just for now, not for a lifetime. Cognitive skills need large endurance and that comes from the source, which is physical activity.
Therefore again the bottom line is to continue exercising to keep up your cognitive skills at the same pace.
2.Make Chess Your Game-Next-Door
It doesn’t have to be to-do compulsory stuff from your side. But trust me, picking one of the brain exercising games like chess will happen to make you gain brownie points in terms of reshaping your brainpower. Know that these brain games are complex but fit your mind beyond what you always opted for. Give it a try and evaluate your weaknesses and strengths in a second to cross to the next.
If I recall a real-time experiment, then I would like to mention this one. A few researchers took a brief comparative study on the ability of expert chess players to that of people with no chess-playing experience. And they exactly concluded that the chess players were undoubtedly better at recalling lists of words they’d heard than people who had never played chess. Which as a result, increase the levels of theta waves in brain scans- electroencephalograms (EEGs).
And many such experiments continue to step their foot with enough evidence to prove the following.
3.Multimodal Balanced Learning Style
They say, “Picture worth a thousand words” but really? Yes, they do recognise the potential of that Chinese proverb which has to do with the learning process. It is found that with the advancement of technology, humans are bound to consume more rich visual data than formal texts. And how can I forget to mention the attention span factor which is smaller than a goldfish?
It all sums up the prominent principles of multimedia learning style observed by Richard Mayer, Roxanne Moreno, and other prominent researchers, that are-
- Multimedia Principle: “Retention is improved through words and pictures rather than through words alone.”
- Spatial Contiguity Principle: “Students learn better when corresponding words and pictures are presented near each other rather than far from each other on the page or screen.”
- Temporal Contiguity Principle: “Students learn better when corresponding words and pictures are presented simultaneously rather than successively.”
- Coherence Principle: “Students learn better when extraneous words, pictures, and sounds are excluded rather than included.”
- Modality Principle: “Students learn better from animation and narration than from animation and on-screen text.”
- Redundancy Principle: “Students learn better when information is not represented in more than one modality – redundancy interferes with learning.”
- Individual Differences Principle I: “Design effects are higher for low-knowledge learners than for high-knowledge learners.”
- Individual Differences Principle II: “Design effects are higher for high-spatial learners rather than for low-spatial learners.”
- Direct Manipulation Principle: “As the complexity of the materials increase, the impact of direct manipulation of the learning materials (animation, pacing) on transfer also increases.”
Now as you can see, these are divided into two-two quadrants each as summarised below-
• Quadrants I and II: The average student’s scores on basic skills assessments increase by 21 percentiles etc.) in comparison to traditional, single-mode learning.
• Quadrants III and IV: When the average student is engaged in higher-level thinking using multimedia in interactive situations, on average, their percentage ranking increases by 32 percentile points over traditional learning.
So what I want you to do is simple. Justify your vision of triggering your cognitive abilities by welcoming more visual data rather than text data.
4.Get ‘Quality Not Quantity’ Sleep
Sleep is important when it comes to better overall brain functioning and the number of hours just makes no sense when to sleep means to rest. How to sleep especially during the times of COVID-19 remains an unanswered question. Sleep expert and neuroscientist Dr Merrill Mitler says,
“Sleep services all aspects of our body in one way or another: molecular, energy balance, as well as intellectual function, alertness and mood.”
The same found in increasing cognitive skills due to quality sleep are undeniable as the more you get a good night’s sleep, the more energized you feel from within to deal with all sorts of projects and to locate plenty of files in these vast information days.
5.Go Out More and More OFTEN
Above all the to-do lists to upskill your cognitive activities, this topic comes differently and much closer in comparison to all others for the interconnection it shares. That in cognitive terms improves your chance in increasing the first leaders of strength: logical and reasoning techniques. Here are the key points you can follow to make an impact on your cognitive ability-
- Pick up one cardio training at you’d convenience, maybe cycling or jogging.
- Include yourself in small day to day activities like grocery shopping.
- Give a hand to others without thinking a bit.
- Ping your old buddies to join you for a trip.
- Get out of your comfort zone by pursuing your studies from elsewhere.
The second chance never comes when you will ruin the first chance though you are aware. So take this to-do activity seriously to make the most out of it. And that revolution comes from the day you start embracing the change happening around you.
The final question of the day is,
Are cognitive skills a great deal in the job sector? Pinch yourself once more to accept the truth that yes it is, but that doesn’t mean it will in every point of view. But whether you are a job holder or someone who prefers laborious working, every work needs a constructive decision in the end- that’s where the green flag of cognitive ability comes in.
So without making a further delay, specify which activity is good to go with.
That is it for today, take care and have great days ahead!
For more updates, check my Instagram today.