Enhance your Career with Public Speaking / Tips to improve Public Speaking / How public speaking helps in Career Progression / Importance of Public Speaking in your Career
Whether you are an entrepreneur, a manager or an employee; every professional has to master a couple of specific skills in order to create an impact. A financial analyst knows about finances, a HR manager connects with people and a marketer knows how to target its audience.
Yet some skills have a remarkably huge impact on all sorts of jobs. Public Speaking is one such skill that assists you to create an impact in crucial moments.
How To Upskill and Reskill Yourself to Improve your Career Growth?Read more..
Most of all public speaking is not a simple skill. It is an inherent skill for a few, but others have to work on it. That’s why there are specialized courses and training programs out there to help people improve their public speaking ability.
“Public Speaking,” is generally perceived as a skill to stand in front of large crowds and give speeches or presentations. However, there are many extensive applications of the methods mostly linked with public speaking. For example, addressing & speaking to smaller groups, initiating internal meetings at work etc.
Manage time to accelerate your careerRead more..
Good public speaking skills can have a large impact on your career because of the following reasons:
- Exhibits your knowledge. You are always at your best when you can express your thoughts clearly and effectively. Public speaking skills assist you in articulating the same. After all, the true value of the knowledge you have can only be comprehended when you can show and apply it.
- Demonstrates your confidence. Not only does public speaking enhance your knowledge while preparing but it also uplifts and exhibits your confidence. Whether you are interviewing for a job or hoping for a promotion, your confidence is what will make you stand out among the rest.
- Assists you lead better. As you move ahead in your career, you will have to deal more with people and lead them. For which, it is essential to have good public speaking skills and the confidence pertinent to it. If someone is good at the skill it is considered an advantage for getting a promotion.
How to Manage Time – Three TipsRead more..
9 Tips to Improve your Public Speaking
- Preparation is Key: The best way to avoid anxiety is to prepare, prepare and prepare some more. Take time to go over your notes several times. Apart from that, a few other ways of practicing are:
- Prepare in front of the mirror or in front of family and friends, it will assist you to feel better and remember what you want to say.
- Jot down a list of key pointers, it will help you to recall in case you forget any important information.
Once you are satisfied with the material, practice—a lot. Videotape yourself or get a friend to critique your performance. Try and improvise your public speaking skills to deliver a better speech instead of adding extra pressure.
- Organize your Presentation / Conversation: Structuring is the first step of any form of communication. Structure your presentation and deliver your message clearly instead of confusing your audience. Ensure you have clear, concise points and there is a clear framework of your presentation which assists you in conveying your message.
- Usage of Visual aids:Visual Aidshelp tomake your presentation more engagingto the audienceas they areinterested in seeing and envisioning your ideas and thoughts. It assists to enhance your speech. But it should be used in moderation as too much of it might be distracting and affect the take-away from the main points. So, finding the right balance is the key.
- Know Your Audience. Your Speech Is About Them, Not You. : Before you begin to deliver your message, consider who the message is meant for. Learn as much about your audience as you can. This will assist you to determine your choice of words, level of information, communication pattern and motivational statement.
Step By Step Guide To Advance Your CareerRead more..
- Break the ice and relax: The perfect way to get over that pre-presentation stress is to attempt and break the ice with the audience through either a quiz or a fun interactive question. It not only helps to create engagement and involvement, but it immediately gets the audience interested in the subject matter.
- Pause: Doing this is quitesimple and beneficial. One needs to understand the technique of when and how to use a pause while presenting and create magic. This technique also helps the presenter using pointless filler words such as ‘like’, ‘you know’ ‘um’ etc. and the audience is able to absorb the information. This way, both parties get time to reflect and process what has been discussed.
- Be flexible: Try not to stick to the rigid script, instead go with the flow and be flexible and reactive to how the audience responds. For instance, by handling audience queries and understanding your audience by initiating a conversation with them.
- Have fun! : The most critical part of any impressive presentation is that you try to have fun. But many presenters make it a stressful activity by letting anxiety and nervousness overpower their expertise, passion and personality. Try to add your personal touch to the presentation instead of looking like you are reading from a script. Find your niche or your way of presenting and experiment with ways that can minimize your nerves.
Transform & Change – Key to beat the ODDSRead more..
- Reflect: The most important point that every presenter should remember is to iterate the main message of the conversation at the end. They should also reflect by asking for feedback that can assist in improving future presentations. This can help you boost how effectively you deliver your point of view, business ideas and ultimately progress your career.
For a larger part of you, becoming a professional public speaker might not be your ambition, but instead, the main goal is to effectively express yourself so that others can understand and connect with the message you are trying to convey. There is no right or wrong way to present. Being clear and communicating authentically is the final goal and this is what you have been doing your whole life with family and friends.
So, follow the above tips and express your thoughts in an effective manner!!
PUBLIC SPEAKING – ARE YOU DOING IT WRONG?Read more..